Tuesday, September 23, 2025

Civil War Soldier: David Burroughs Allen

 


David Burroughs Allen, our 2nd cousin 4x removed on the Stewart/Burroughs branch, is one of the best-documented Civil War ancestors I’ve uncovered; his story includes photos, personal letters, and war stories from local newspapers. He was born in Genesee County, New York, on May 21, 1836, the second of Truman Curtis and Mahala Jane (Burroughs) Allen’s eleven children. The first five Allen kids were born in New York, but sometime in 1842 or 1843 the family moved to a farm in Steuben County, Indiana, near Angola, where they welcomed their next six children.

 

At the 1860 Census, David Burroughs Allen was 24, single, and still living and working on his parents’ Hoosier farm. A year later on August 16, 1861, he signed up to fight in the Civil War. He was 25 years old when he enlisted in Angola—5 feet 11 inches tall, with light complexion, brown eyes, and light hair. On August 27 he reported to La Porte, Indiana, where he was sworn in for three years’ service as a sergeant in the 29th Indiana Infantry, Company A.

 

His first months in the service were uneventful. The 29th Indiana spent time at Camp Nevin in Hardin County, Kentucky, and later Fort Craig in Munfordville, also Kentucky, before moving to Nashville, Tennessee in the spring. According to The Union Army, Volume 3 (Federal Publishing Company, 1908): the regiment “moved with McCook’s division to the Tennessee [River], participating in the second day’s Battle of Shiloh [April 7], where it was under fire for five hours and lost heavily.”

 

Lt. Richmond W. Melendy, an officer in Allen’s company, described the fight in a letter to the Steuben Republican (4-26-62):

 

When our [29th Indiana] landed it formed on the bank of the river, stacked arms and filled canteens. In a few minutes the order was given to “fall in,” and we marched out and took our place on the reserve. About this time our infantry were attacked on the left, and the shells from the Rebel batteries were continually tearing through the branches of the trees over our heads. Captain Jenkins had command of the company [A], I acted as first lieutenant, and Charles H. Jennings, who had been acting as second lieutenant, till the regular appointment was made, filled that place until he was wounded during the fight. The other file closers were sergeants David B. Allen, Miletus McGowan, James R. Woodworth, and Wm. H. Cole. The file closers were as cool and fearless as veterans. . . .          While fighting we all laid down to load or got behind trees, but stood out to fire, and shoot only when we saw a butternut [Confederate soldier] to shoot at. . . . Frank Beach and Sergeant Allen [were] hit with slivers torn from trees by cannon balls. The piece that struck Sergeant Allen was as large as a man’s arm, and hit him across the breast, knocking him down.

 

But Allen got back up. His service file does not list him as injured.

 

 
Chaos at the Battle of Shiloh, by Thure de Thurlstrup, 1888

 

After Shiloh the 29th Indiana Infantry joined the Siege of Corinth, Mississippi, from April 29 to May 30, when Rebel forces retreated. They then returned north through Alabama, middle Tennessee, and helped drive the Confederate Army out of Kentucky before returning to Nashville in October 1862. Allen was part of a reconnaissance mission to nearby Lavergne on November 26–27, which was reported in the Steuben Republican (12-13-62):

 

Company A was deployed as skirmishers and moved forward into a cedar copse, where the Rebels were last seen. We found nothing there, and after passing through it made a right wheel and moved up to a fence running parallel with the pike, within sight of Lavergne, and were just climbing the fence when a volley was fired into us from behind a fence, running at right angles with the pike and with our lines. The left of our line was within a few rods of their right, and Serg. David Allen was shot at by a Rebel not four rods [22 feet] distant. The ball struck a rail directly in front of him.

 

Fortunately, Allen was not injured, and the company returned to Nashville.

 

Throughout his service, Allen had been faithfully writing home, and several of his letter survive and can be found on Ancestry. They’re often hard to decipher and repetitious; as he writes in the margin of one letter, “Read what you can and guess at the rest.” But there are passages that capture his life and thoughts in the field, though he doesn’t dwell on his near brushes with death. For example, even though he missed being shot in Lavergne days earlier, on December 1, 1862, he wrote to his sister Cornelia Amelia Allen, who still lived at home:

 

Camp in the Willderness Tenne[ssee]

December the 1 1862

 

Dear sister, it is with the grates of pleasure that I now try to draw my mind to gather to drop a few lines to you. I received yours and fathers of the 18th and was glad to hear from you and to hear that you was all well. I hope when this reaches its place of destination it will find you all well. I am glad to say that I am well and harty as ever I was. Mother wanted me to keep up good curage for that is half of the batel. I am well a wair of that. I think I have cep up good curage. If I havent they hant any body.

      In all of our marchen I havent roade a foot nor I haven’t fel out of ranks. I have bin in my place every time either on a march or in a fite. I havent bin in a hospital yet. I have only took medison wonce since I have bin in the army. Thought I have marched a many a mile when it did seam to me as if I could not go won mile. They was all of the time from Batelcreek to Loussville that I was so weak that I could not hardly git a long. I had the army complaint [diarrhea] which I have got over now. This army complaint is a diesee which most of the soldiers is botherd with. I have bin trubeled with this diseas very much but have got partly over it. I inlisted for a soldier and I mean to be won.

      I started to see the end of this Rebellion and I shal if I live. I did not inlist because I thought it would be a nice thing nor neither did I inlist for the reason that sum said that I was no [text cut off]. I inlisted becaus I thought more of my Country and of the union than I did of my own wellfare. I thought it my duty. I think so now. I havent seen a moment that I wish that hadnt inlisted. It was my duty and every other mans duty that thinks any thing of his Country. They is sum of corse that cant leave home. They is plenty of young men at home that aught to be hear in stead of sum old men that is hear. It makes me feel bad when I see theas old gray headed men marchen a long then think of the young men at home. . . .

      . . . I cant think of any thing more to write this time. When you write tell me all of the news. Give my best respects to all of the mirren[many?] friends. Yours with respect, Cornelia A. Allen,

David B. Allen

 

Allen’s regiment was stationed in Nashville until December 26, when the Union’s Army of the Cumberland began the advance on Murfreesboro, Tennessee. There on December 31 they met Confederate forces at the Battle of Stones River. Two weeks later, Allen described what he went through in a letter to his sister (probably Cornelia):

 

Camp near Murfresburoe Tennessee

January the 15th 1863

 

Dear sister, it with the grates of pleasure that I now try too scribel down a few lines in answer too yours which was received with pleasure and gave me much chear. In that time we had just past threw a very hard batel [at Stones River] and had a pretty hard time of it. The details of the mater I shant atempt to give for you. Probly have got them long before this time and in a much beter way than I can give you. May as well believe it went hard with us. We was not ust too retreating in the way we had too which did not suit us. The fault was not in the boys it was in the General comanding the division. General Jonson [Richard W. Johnson] tis the man. I dont now as we could of plaid our part if he had dun his duty in giten us in a position that we could of fought. They was only too brigades of our division there that the rebels came on too us with ten men too our won and took us in surprise. . . . Such a day I never experienced as that and night. This was the last day of December. I did not sleep much that knight. We lay on the batel field a munched the dead and wounded. I slep or rather tried too with Leiut Melandy. He was wounded in the left arm. I fixed things as comfortbel for him as I could. I could not sleap for thinken what the morow would bring for us. Thaught we was wiped and that our army was gon. Just before day light that night I saw a fier a short distance from whare we was. I went too it thare but General McCoock and General Rosencrance and a number of other Generals they was a talken. They said the boys was sum what discourage on the right wing for they had bin drive back that day. General Rosencrance said that was what he wanted his line in that way. This made me feel beter. He said that we had not lost any thing that day. We had gone as much on the left as we had lost on the right. So I heard up and felt beter. I new he new more a bout it than eny of us, but now I fell all right and mean too hang too thee rebels as long as I can rase my gun too my fase and folow them.

      I would like too be thare and take a sleigh ride for I think you must have sleighin there by this time for the snow is nearly deap anuf for sleignin hear but I cant and I am contented.

      I must close it for beadtime now. The rest of the boys has gone too bead and I am siten by a comfortbel fier place which we have built in our tent. Right soon and give all of the news how all of the are and what they are a doin. . . . Yours most obedient.

Brother David B. Allen

 

The Army of the Cumberland, made its winter quarters in Murfreesboro. Four months later, as summer approached, Allen wrote again to his sister Cornelia:

 

Camp Drake Murfreesboro Tenn

May the 4th, 63

 

Dear Sister,

I now take my pen to hasten to answer you leter which came to hand yesterday. . . .

      . . . This is the third leter that I have riten to knight but it is twelve o clock now and I must go an warn the Corporal to git out his relief. I am Sergeant of the guard to knight. My time is up at too O Clock. I will finish this when I come back.

      Wal I have went and had the Corprael git out his relief guard. I went around with him and all was well but none below he was very mad because I would not relieve him he had bin enter up some deviltry and was ordered to be put on for six hours the rest of the guards only stand too hours at a time. This is the way they punish the boys when they brake over the rules. I have bin lucky anuff so as to not git on double duty.

      You sid it was very sickly thare this Spring. It is to the reverse hear it hasn’t bin as healthy in our Regiment since we came south as it is now the boys are all tuff and can eat all of their rations and a good dell more. . . . We are to work yet on the Fortrifications [Fortress Rosecrans] the weather is a giten so warm that we cant doo but a litel in a day. It is as warm hear now as it is in July.

      I seen Miner [Miner Abel Webster, his sister Hanna Maria’s husband, profiled here] the other day he is well [???] and me went and got our sickness [?] taken and sent them to Marias. . . .

      I can’t think of anything more to write this time when you write tell me all of the news. . . . Yours with respect, Cornelia A. Allen,

David B. Allen

 

The 29th Indiana infantry was part of the Union’s Tullahoma Campaign in the summer of 1863, and fought at the Battle of Liberty Gap in late June. While in camp at Tullahoma, David Burroughs Allen wrote to his hometown friend, Nelson Joseph Letts, [the husband of out 2nd cousin 4x removed, to be profiled in a future post] who was then at the Convalescent Soldiers Home in Indianapolis. Letts would marry Allen’s sister Cornelia after the war.

 

Camp at Tullahoma Tenn

August the 8th 63

 

Friend Nelson,

As I have just herd that you was still alive and in preyer(?) ground I thought I would take this way to kill time in writin you a few lines. I got a letter from home a day or to ago staiten that you was at home on a fullow and that you was quite under the weather. I was sory to hear that you was not a gitin eny beter, but I am in hope this will find you beter. I am well and as tuff as a Brick and all of the rest of the Boys. I have often times thought of you and have tride to find out whare you was after you left the Convalescent Camp and Murfreesburo. I herd that you was taken to the Field Hospital. I went there and hunted the hospital over but could not find or git eny word from you while we were on our way to this place. . . .

      We are at Tullahoma that is our Division. We have lots of duty to duew that is Picket duty and Fatigue duty. We are on Picket every other day. We are under marchen orders now. We are to be ready at a moments warnen with ten days rations. I guess Old Rosey [Rosecrans] is a getin ready to give Old Bragg ann other chase. I don’t think he will ever stand and fite Rosey. His moves at this place looks to me as if he was a fraid of him. You beter believe we had a pretty hard time of it from Murfreesboro to this place it commenced to rain the day we left there and for fifteen days nearly all of the time. But as much rain as we had I think it was beter for the troops than if it had bin as hot as it is now. It is so hot hear now that we don’t have to use any fier, all we have to doo is cut a piece of sow belly and lay it in the sun. We then put sum water and coffee in the pot and put it in the sun and in a few minnits our grub is ready to eat.

      Oh Bully for me hear comes the Orderly with the mail. A leter for me from Dad as sure as this open it coms they are all well good nuse. . . . The other from Tomas Baker [Charles Thomas Baker, his cousin, also to be profiled later]. Tom is in [New] York state. He is on the amend.

      Nell what doo you think of this War. When is a goin to end. I did think sum time ago that it would cum to a close before next spring, but I have changed my mind. They is ann Order issued from War Department given all of the Old Soldiers that will reinlist for thre years after the 25th of next month. $400 Bounty wone months pay in add vance. $25 of their Bounty down then the remained of Bounty in payments. It gives them their chois to go in Cavalry, Infantry, or Artillery.

      They is ann other Order to rase Negro Regts hear in this department. They have cald for Officers to command them. . . . I think I shal go in to that. I think I could make git up and clime(?). . . .

      Next when you write give me all of the Home news. Tell me what the young folks are a Doing. All so the Old folks. Give me the news in general. Tell them litel gals to git a.d  d.good ready before they wright and I will. . . .

      Tell them .d d. Coperheads they had beter walk rather light offr sum of the Old Soldiers will be home before long. Poor things, how much they have to suffer for them god.d  d. Coperheads . . .

 

He was correct in his prediction that they would soon march out to confront Bragg’s forces. The Army of the Cumberland left camp on August 16, moving through the Cumberland Mountains and over the Tennessee River. A letter printed in the Steuben Republican on September 12, 1863, described their ordeal:

 

South Bank Tennesse River

September 1st, 1863

 

Dear Republican

I have long been looking for a “Republican” and at length a couple have arrived and I will now fill my part of the contract, and send you a short note of our whereabouts.

      We left Tullahoma on the 16th of August and reached Belle Foute, Alabama the 21st of the same month, after a somewhat fatiguing march in which we had to push the wagons and artillery up the mountains by hand. The boys stood the march well and all came into camp on time.

      . . . The commissioned officers at present with the company are Miletus McGowen, 1st Sergeant, and Sergeants David B. Allen, Albert H. Stewart, Henry Hanna, and Ed. A. Parker; Corporal Hiram W. Woodard, and Somerlott, Joseph E. Everhert and James Phenicic. . . .

      We now number thirty-seven guns and have forty-five men this side of the river, including those on extra duty and detached service. Our company now aggregates sixty-eight. We left Belle Fonte August 30th and came to Stevenson, camping on the same ground we occupied one year ago last July when Buell marched us through here. The next day, yesterday, we crossed the Tennessee River and are lying on its south bank, drawing rations and loading trains for a “raid” to some point—Expect to start tomorrow morning for Chattanooga, Rome or Atlanta.

      The boys are in excellent spirits and their hatred of Copperheads increases on the same principle as falling bodies, its velocity being squared every little while. We will get so after a few months that we will begin to hate them, and hate them so bad as never to forget them. They will be damned to “Eternal Remembrance.” They are making history so are we. We are evidently doing our part toward writing the military history of Steuben for this rebellion as the battlefields we have passed over and the promotions made from our ranks testify. We ask for no other reward than the united country and the gratitude of its citizens. Our only want now is more men. Send in recruits, conscripts, or anything else that will fill up our ranks, we will soon make good and loyal soldiers of them. Copperheads wouldn’t long survive in our atmosphere.

      Send us papers—respects to all and God bless the ladies of Steuben county.

R. W. Melendy

 

Later that month, Allen’s luck ran out when his regiment fought at the Battle of Chickamauga, southeast of Chattanooga in north Georgia. It was a disastrous defeat for the Union—it lost 16,000+ soldiers, killed, wounded or captured; the Confederates lost 18,000+. According to The Union Army, the 19th Indiana Infantry sustained a loss of 170 in killed and wounded—one-half the number engaged.” There were 19 soldiers taken prisoner from the regiment, and Daniel Burroughs Allen was one of them, captured on September 20.

 

In a strange coincidence, another relative of ours, but on the Standiford/Woodard side of the tree, Private Ichabod W. Dowd of the 39th Illinois Infantry, Company K, was also captured. (More on him in a future post.) They were captured at the same time in the same area, and both would meet the same fate as POWs.

 

The two prisoners were originally sent to Richmond, Virginia, on September 29, 1863, and likely held at the Belle Isle Prison. On December 12 they were transferred to a prison (or different prisons) in Danville, Virginia—there were many. Then in the spring, Allen and Dowd were transferred a final time, to Andersonville Prison in Georgia.




Andersonville was one of the worst prisoner-of-war camps in the South. At its peak, it held 45,000 Union POWs. More than a quarter of it prisoners died during the 15 months it was in operation. Ichabod W. Dowd died of acute dysentery on June 8, 1864. David Burroughs Allen contracted gangrene and died on September 23161 years ago today. The photo above shows Andersonville on August 17, 1864, ten weeks after Dowd perished, five weeks before Allen would die.

 

Both Allen’s and Dowd’s names were recorded on the secret “death list” compiled by Dorence Atwater, who later smuggled it out in his knapsack. After the war, Atwater and Clara Barton (who later founded the American Red Cross) would use the information to find and properly mark the graves of the Union dead. Ichabod W. Dowd is buried in Section K, Plot 1727. David Burroughs Allen rests in Section H, Plot 9643. Allen’s family also erected a memorial in the Dygert Cemetery in Fremont, Indiana, alongside his parents, both of whom outlived him.

 

                 
D. B. Allen grave, Andersonville                               David B. Allen memorial in Dygert Cemetery


 

No comments:

Post a Comment