Here’s an eerie coincidence. . . . On Sunday, while cleaning up the attic, I found two family portraits from Eagle, Henry Baer’s photos of his mother and father, Johannes & Anna (Hess) Baer, our 3rd great-grandparents. They’re captured on curved glass plates and are extremely fragile, so I decided to photograph them immediately and post them on Ancestry.
Johannes & Anna (Hess) Baer
Then, after uploading the images, I glanced at the profiles of Henry’s siblings to see if there were any new hints or documents that had been added by other researchers. One of our family’s great mysteries is a note about Henry’s oldest brother, Frederick Baer, our 2nd great-grand-uncle: he died at St. Michael, Alaska “after two days of pneumonia, left $1,040 in gold and deeds for mining claims.” After the elder Baers died in Wisconsin and their farm was sold around 1894, the children scattered across the country, and 41-year-old Frederick Baer reportedly headed to Alaska, looking for gold.
I wondered how accurate this note about Frederick was, though it did give a very specific detail—$1,040 in gold—the kind of detail you rarely find with family lore. But I never found a supporting document about Frederick, not one, and usually there would be a death or cemetery record.
But then I opened his profile page to find seven new hints/documents from a distant cousin of ours, Laura Baer Allison, a descendant of Henry “Cub” Baer, Henry & Lucy (Cross) Baer’s only son (and grandma’s uncle). Apparently, she has an archive of material from Frederick’s gold-hunting adventure, including letters and four detailed diaries, and they’re all transcribed!
So, what was the eerie coincidence? I was led back to Frederick’s profile by his parents’ photos on the 126th anniversary of his death, September 28. Perhaps it was just a coincidence, a 1-in-365 chance, but it still was strange to be reading our granduncle’s diaries on the day he perished.
What follows is Frederick Baer’s story, which starts at the end.
Fort St. Michael, Alaska, Oct. 1st, 1899
Mr. John Baer
Waumandee,
Wis.
Dear Sir:
Mr. Frederick Baer died here on the 28th of Sept., after an illness of about ten days. He gave me your name and address and said that you were his brother. He came down the river a few days before he died and was sick at the time. I urged him to go to bed and have something done for him but he did not think his condition was all that serious. He had pneumonia and with it an old chronic heart trouble. He was doing nicely when he had a hemorrhage from the lungs on the morning of his death. This one was checked, but he had two more during the day and the last one proved fatal.
He was buried here the same day.
I believe the U.S. Commissioner will write to you soon in reference to some business matters. I have written this thinking you might wish to hear from the physician who attended him.
Feeling very sorry to have to communicate such das news to you, I remain,
Very respectfully yours,
Robert J. Marsh
Act. Ass’t Surgeon
U.S. Army
Nine months letter, John Baer received a letter from Frederick’s business associate in Seattle:
Seattle, July 12th, 1900
Dear Sir,
I will inform you that the N.A.T.&T. Co. [North American Trading & Transportation Company] sent down from St. Michael your brother Fred’s effects of the St[eame]r. Roaak which came down on the 8th inst and they delivered same to me on July 10/1900 and their bill of lading shows they shipped viz by express, sk gold dust valued at 16.00 pr oz at St. Michaels $1039.30:
2 days at hotel board lodging $ 6.00
Nurse and attendance 20.00
M. F. Burns M.D. preparation for burial 25.00
D. R. March M.D. physician service and medicine 150.00
Harry Smith for burial 50.00
R. A. Hazar for coffin & headstone 20.00
Fright on effects to Seattle 5.00
Insurance and express on dust sent to Seattle 29.35
By balance as per N.A.T.&T. Co. statement $733.95. This gold dust came in a sealed buckskin sack and I took this same sealed as it came to the assay office and they broke the seal and opened the sack and weighed it 4506/100 oz and they told me I will get returns of the assay next week as they are quite busy now. The N.A.T.&T. Co. also sent a sack billed clothing which contained 2 pair blankets, 2 pr mackinaws, 1 pr mits, 3 diary books, a bible, several letters, and some small trifles, also an old vest that contained a gold-plated watch, a little vial that contained a little fine gold dust and a few small nuggets tied up in a cloth, also a couple pieces of quartz. There was also an old silver watch sent down. I will not dispose of any of these articles. I will keep them for you as I suppose you and your brothers and sister will want to divide them up between yourselves as a keepsake. There are 4 diary books of your brother Fred’s beginning January 1th 1894 up to September 26th 1900 which give a daily account of him every day in each year and these books are very interesting and valuable.
He has a Claim No. 6 on Bear Creek which he worked winter before last with several other men, giving the men lays to work on shares, and the way his diary book shows they got over $5000.00 in their cleaning up in the spring of 1899. This diary book shows that he had an interest in a claim on American Creek and his share of the cleanup on same was $570.40 net. And his diary book shows that he gave a quit claim deed to a Mr. Anderson for his interest in his claim on American and Boundary Creek, but it does not state what price he received for same. It seems strange that there was not more money or gold dust sent out than there was by the N.A.T.&T. Co. as a person would think that he ought to had a lot more as his clean up on Claim No. 6 on Bear Creek shows up pretty good as stated in his diary book.
There was no clothing send down from the N.A.T.&T. Co. except as stated before in this letter. He certainly ought to have had more cash in his clothing when he died. I found a letter of introduction given to your bro. Fred by a friend of his in Alaska by the name of Harry Hunt to his wife Mrs. Hunt at Corona Cal. The letter stated that Mr. Fred Baer was in ill health and was going to California for a few months of his health and that Mrs. Hunt should do all she could for Mr. Baer while there as Mr. Baer was his (Mr. Hunt’s) best friend he had in Alaska. I see by your bro. diary book that he mentioned Harry Hunt’s name quite often so they must have been good friends, so yesterday I wrote Mrs. Hunt a letter at Corona Cal. asking her to give me Mr. Hunt’s present address if in Alaska. Also sent her statement of your brother’s affairs as sent me from N.A.T.&T. Co. at St. Michael, also some of the accounts in the diary book showing his Claim No. 6 on Bear Creek up pretty good. And I wrote her to forward my letter to her husband at once so he can read it and he should answer me at once and give me full information of all your brother’s interests in Alaska. This Claim No. 6 must be looked after this year without fail or otherwise the Baer estate will lose same. Mr. Tucker & Hyland the attorneys advised me to take a trip up to Dawson and have the claim represented on record and see about selling same or have it worked. But I think it best not to act too hasty in this matter as I want to try and find out a little more about this Claim No. 6 on Bear Creek and see how much is left to work out yet, as probably I will hear something from Mr. Hunt or someone else, and if the claim is good as stated then you might go up and look after the working of the same and if that is necessary then I can go with you to establish the rights of said claim & you superintend the working of said claim and you stay there and I come home to Seattle again. But I must first find out more about the claim as I don’t want to go to any extra expense where it is not necessary. So I will write you again in a couple weeks and let you know what I think is best to know about going up to Dawson. So you better write your brothers and sister back east at once and see what they have to say about you going up there if necessary and let me know as soon as you hear from them. The way your brother’s book reads he must have been sickly a good deal of the past year.
Oh I forgot to mention there was a U.S. draft for $60.00 and a steamboat ticket good from St. Michaels to Seattle amongst your brother’s effects which I will try and recover from the steamboat co. Well I will bring this letter to a close for the time.
Yours Truely
P. L. Runkel
Frederick Baer’s diaries eventually made it back to John Baer. Together they run more than 300 pages, and are often repetitious—chopping trees, panning creeks, hunting game, building sluice boxes—and the spelling can be frustrating to interpret. What follows is my “translation” of the revealing entries, nuggets of his life in Alaska, but I’ve edited out most of the repetitious material. If you’d like to read the complete diaries, let me know and I’ll send them to you.
The diaries start near Forty Mile Post in the Yukon Territory, snowbound in a two-man camp with a man name Merry, a man who was anything but merry.
Tuesday, January 1, 1895
I stayed home all day and am burning a hole here in front of the camp. Merry went up the creek with the sleigh and brought down some more meat.
Weather: Fine and is getting a little colder
. . .
Wednesday, January 9, 1895
We both stayed in camp all day and molded a lot of bullets for our rifles, for the weather is too cold to do much outside. Quicksilver [mercury] is frozen hard as a rock.
Weather: Clear and cold, over (42 below zero)
. . .
Saturday, January 19, 1895
We both went down to the Yukon River and finished breaking trail. Brought up two sacks of flour and a sleigh from the cache down there. We found some water on the way and got through it all right.
Weather: Cloudy and moderate, (quicksilver is thawed)
. . .
Tuesday, January 22, 1895
I went up the creek this morning to look for deadfalls [traps set for large animals] but there had nothing been around them. There is lots of water running on the ice, and I heard a lot of wolves howling, the first I’ve heard in Alaska.
Weather: Cloudy and moderate or warm
. . .
Saturday, February 2, 1895
I went up the creek this morning to look at my deadfalls and I found two martens in them at the upper cash, and built a fire in the hole near camp. Merry stayed home all day.
Weather: Fine and clear
. . .
Friday, February 22, 1895
We both went up the creek and cut logs for sluice boxes. We cut 12 logs today and came home. I cut down the trees and Merry sawed them.
Weather: Cloudy and was snowing all day
. . .
Saturday, February 23, 1895
We both went up the creek to cut logs for sluice boxes, and when we got there Merry took his tools home and said he was going to throw up the job, for we couldn’t get along together. I chopped down trees till evening.
Weather: Fine, snowed some this evening
. . .
Monday, February 25, 1895
I went up the creek this morning and sawed off 25 logs and came home. Merry is staying in camp and is silent (don’t speak).
Weather: Fine and mild
. . .
Friday, March 1, 1895
I went up the creek this morning to look at my deadfalls, but there had been nothing around them. I staked my claim and came home and got things ready to go to the post tomorrow, with 21 marten skins, 3 wolf, and 1 bear skin. Merry is going and is well.
Weather: Fine and moderate
. . .
Saturday, March 2, 1895
We left camp this morning and got down to the river and divided our stuff and got dinner, and started up the Yukon River toward the post and camped about 4 miles up the river in a cabin.
Weather: Fair and mild, and started in snowing this evening
. . .
Sunday, March 3, 1895
We both left camp this morning. Merry made up his mind to go down to Birch Creek, and I started up the river toward the post. I met two men with sleigh going down to Birch Creek soon after I started up the river, and had dinner with another party of five men and three sleighs bound for Birch Creek.
Weather: Fair and mild
. . .
Monday, March 4, 1895
I camped all alone last night and again tonight. I left camp this morning and started up the river, and found it hard traveling for the trail was covered with snow most of the way, and I met two more men going to Birch Creek this evening.
Weather: Fine and moderate
. . .
Tuesday March 5, 1895
I left camp this morning and started up the river and got here to the post this afternoon, and found it very hard traveling. I sold 3 wolf, 1 bear, and 21 marten skins for $55.00 (at Hales)
Weather: Fare, and mild
. . .
Wednesday, March 6, 1895
I am here at Forty Mile Post and stayed in Captain Morgan’s cabin last night. Walked around town and had dinner with Mr. Madison and stayed in a cabin with George Matock.
Weather: Fair and mild
. . .
Memoranda
This is recommended for the weakly:
Take a quart whiskey bottle and put into it one pound of finely chopped lean beef, cork it tightly, place it in a pot of water and let it boil four hours. This will make the strongest kind of extract—a highly concentrated form of nourishment. A tablespoon every hour is a dose.
The diary then continues with pages and pages of personal accounting, lists of supplies to buy, fur pelts sold, accounting of meals and lodgings, and addresses of family and associates, including Henry Baer and “Mrs. Moore, Epler Block, 2nd Street, Room 28, Clairvoyant; vapor baths, Seattle”. I’ve edited them out, but again, I’ll send you the full diaries if you’re interested.
Restaurants and bars along First Avenue, Forty Mile Post, 1898.
Eventually, the dated entries continue:
Sunday, March 10, 1895
I am here at Forty Mile Post and went to church with Pete McGraw this afternoon. The moon was almost a total eclipse about 8 this evening.
Weather: Fine
. . .
Wednesday March 13, 1895
I left Forty Mile Post this morning and started up Forty Mile Creek and stopped at Brown Creek House tonight, and there is a big crowd here tonight.
Weather: Fine and moderate (6 above zero)
. . .
Thursday [March] 14. 1895
I left Brown Creek House this morning and came up Brown Creek, and had dinner near Soda Springs, and am stopping at the Forks House tonight.
Weather: Fine and moderate
. . .
Friday, March 15, 1895
We left Forks House this morning and had dinner at Summit House and crossed the summit and came down Gold Creek and are stopping at Little Gold Creek Cabin tonight.
Weather: Fine and Mild
. . .
Saturday, March 16, 1895
We left Gold Creek House this morning and got here to Russel’s Camp this forenoon . . .
. . .
Wednesday, March 20, 1895
I stayed in Russel’s Camp all day and helped Cal and Mr. Brosins sink a hole on his claim (No. 20).
Weather: Cloudy, snowed some last night and today
. . .
Saturday, March 23, 1895
I am here on Glacier Creek in Mr. Russel’s Camp. Fred Able, Cal Brosins, and I are staying in the tent with him, and seen them pan out a few pans of dirt. They got about 2½ to 6 cents.
Weather: Fare
. . .
Saturday, April 6, 1895
Went up the creek today, and broke trail the logs, and swamped out a trail to get them out, and brought down the wolf [found in a trap the day before] with us this evening on the sleigh.
Weather: Cloudy
. . .
Sunday, April 7, 1895
We stayed in camp all day. I filed the whipsaw, skinned the wolf and stretched his hide, and patched any gum boots.
Weather: Fine and clear
. . .
Wednesday, April 17, 1895
In camp here at the sawpit and are sawing lumber all day.
Weather: Cold and windy, we nearly froze
The men continued to build their gold mill operation for several weeks in the spring thaw—sawing lumber, building dams and a “meat house,” constructing wheelbarrows and workbenches, and generally improving their camp. By mid-June, they were ready.
Monday, June 17, 1895
Home all day and were shoveling into the boxes. Mosquitos are very bad. We are out of fresh meat. Worked all day.
Weather: Fare
. . .
Wednesday, June 26, 1895
We left camp this morning and started up the river toward the post, and are camped on the river again, tonight. I shot two ducks today.
Weather: Fare, and lots of mosquitos
. . .
Friday, June 28, 1895
We are here at Forty Mile Post, resting and staying in a cabin. There are some boats coming down the river every day.
Weather: Changeable and rained some
. . .
Thursday, July 11, 1895
(Sent three letters away)
We are here at Forty Mile Post. The Steamer Arctic arrived this morning and is unloading her freight and will leave for St. Michael sometime tonight.
Weather: Rained hard last night and most all day
This was Frederick Baer’s first mention of his final destination, St. Michael. However, he did not board the Steamer Arctic, but stayed around Forty Mile Post doing jobs unloading cargo and loading and building log rafts for others.
Tuesday, July 16, 1895
We are here at Forty Mile Post. Things seem very dull around here. Some boats came up the river and report that two men drowned at the White Horse Rapids.
Weather: Cloudy, misting rain
. . .
Thursday, July 18, 1895
Brosins and I left Forty Mile Post this morning for Boundary Creek with a month’s outfit to finish prospecting our claim, and arrived at the mouth of the creek this evening.
Weather: Windy and rainy
. . .
Monday, July 22, 1895
Brosins and I got ready to go across the mountain to American Creek this morning, and started this afternoon and are in camp at the forks on American Creek this evening.
Weather: Fine, little sprinkle
. . .
Thursday, July 26, 1895
We left American Creek this morning with our packs, and came over here to Boundary Creek and found Russel and his partner here. They are getting ready to pull out in the morning.
Weather: Warm and rain
. . .
Saturday, August 3, 1895
We both were shoveling into the sluice boxes today. Brosins baked one loaf of bread, and made two pies, of blueberries or huckleberries.
Weather: Cloudy and sprinkles
. . .
Sunday, August 11, 1895
We are here at Forty Mile City, and are staying in Cabin No. 16, and went to the dance at Frank Baker’s saloon last night to look on for a while, and are resting up today.
Weather: Cloudy
. . .
Tuesday, August 27, 1895
At Forty Mile, and went over to Fort Cudahy, and found out the officers turned the prisoners loose, and sent [one] down the river. And the other man took his wife again. I paid the baker, Able, cash $3.00
Weather: Fair and cloudy
. . .
Wednesday, August 28, 1895
At Forty Mile, and fixed up the rocker. An English lord arrived today . . . Able’s bakery, 1 bread 1 donut (50 cents)
. . .
Tuesday, September 3, 1895
I am here at Forty Mile and went over to Cudahy to see the Steamer Weare. She arrived about 12 o’clock last night, and I was up to the mission last night to see the Indians dance.
Weather: Fair and cold, snow on the mountains
Steamer Portus B. Weare on the Yukon, ca. 1895.
Thursday, September 5, 1895
Steamer Weare left early this morning for St. Michael. I packed up my blankets and things and came up Forty Mile Creek, and I am camped on Erie Creek, prospecting.
Weather: Fair, a little shower this evening
. . .
Monday, September 9, 1895
In camp on this new creek [Erie Creek] and put a fire on in a hole last night and cleaned it out this morning, then went to cutting house logs for a cabin. And am sinking a hole at the same time. Mr. Chatman brought a gold scale today.
Weather: Fair
. . .
Monday, September 23, 1895
In camp on Erie Creek and put door casings in my cabin and put up a bunk and gathered some grass and put in the bunk. Mr. Chatman went to town.
Weather: Fine
. . .
Saturday, October 5, 1895
We pulled up stakes and took our packs and started for the post this morning across the divide, and are camped on Mission, or Clinton Creek. There is no snow here.
Weather: Fine and freezing
. . .
Sunday, October 6, 1895
We left camp here on Little Mission. For home we crossed Forty Mile creek about 11 o’clock and got home to our camp about 1 o’clock and found some of our things destroyed by horses and dogs.
Weather: Fine cold night
. . .
Friday, October 18, 1895
In camp all day and set up the stove and made two joints of stovepipe, and cooked dinner and supper on the new stove. I went out on the next creek and killed two ducks.
Weather: Fine
Frederick Baer and his group prepared for winter by finishing their cabins, hunting, and bring in provisions from Forty Mile Post. But they were constantly hampered by the half-frozen creeks and rivers—ice too thin to talk over, but water too cold to wade through. On good days they prospected.
Wednesday, November 20, 1895
We left camp this morning and started down the creek about a half mile and broke [through the ice], so we had to build a fire and camp again, and dry up. There is a wolf following us and chewed up some of the ropes on the sleigh.
Weather: Clear and cold
. . .
Friday, January 3, 1896
We both stayed in camp all day for it was too cold to be out for comfort. I am getting my things ready to go to Miller Creek.
Weather: Clear and cold, quicksilver is frozen hard
. . .
Thursday, January 16, 1896
I am here at Blanchard’s claim on Miller Creek. I stayed in the cabin all day and built me a bunk. There is too much water yet to drift here on the claims.
Weather: Clear and cold
. . .
Sunday, January 16, 1896
I went over to Glacier Creek this morning to see Cal Brosins, Burns, and others to see how they were getting along. They were all discouraged for they couldn’t find no pay on their claims.
Weather: Clear and cold
. . .
Thursday, February 6, 1896
On Miller Creek, sinking a shaft. I cleaned out the hole this morning and tonight, and built another fire tonight. (8 days)
Weather: Cloudey tight misting snow
Baer continued digging his main shaft through February, sometimes starting other holes, always counting the days in his diary. He hired a Black prospector to help him dig the shaft for about three weeks in March.
Sunday, March 1, 1896
On Miller Creek and worked all day sinking one shaft, and drifting in one and found pay, about 15 cents to the pan. (32 days)
Weather: Fair, cloudy tonight
. . .
Tuesday, March 10, 1896
On Miller Creek and worked all day. Several Indians were up heare with meet, and I baut a shoulder for $1.50. (41 days)
Weather: Fine
. . .
Sunday, April 26, 1896
We left camp on the Yukon and made it to Boundary Creek this evening, and are in camp here near the old cache.
Weather: Strange north wind all day, and cold
. . .
Sunday, April 29, 1896
On Boundary Creek and sinking a hole in the ice on my claim. The glacier is about 8 feet deep in front of the summer-house.
Weather: Cloudy, snow and windy
. . .
Monday, May 25, 1896
We left 70 Mile this morning and started for Circle City, and are in camp down on the Yukon River. The weather has been disagreeable.
Weather: Blustery, sleet, stormy, and rain
. . .
Friday, May 29, 1896
In Circle City. Three of the boys got a cabin to move into and three of us put up a tent and expect to go up the river in the morning. We took a raft out of the water this morning.
Weather: Fine and clear
. . .
Saturday, June 6, 1896
In Circle City, and did no work today. Things seem dull around here. There are lots of new men coming and they are starting for the mines as soon as they land. (Square dance tonight)
Weather: Changeable, some rain and wind
Baer stayed in Circle City most of June 1896, waiting for a steamer to take him to Forty Mile Post. Every day he worked odd jobs—unloading cargo, peeling logs, clearing wagon roads, building rafts, and taking in the sights.
Sunday, June 21, 1896
In Circle City. Stayed in the cabin all day resting, and took a walk around town this evening. Three sporting women arrived today.
Weather: Cloudy, cool, and a little rain this evening
. . .
Wednesday, June 24, 1896
I went up the river about 4 miles to help to get out some house logs. Worked all day. Grand opening tonight at Curley Monroe’s dance house.
Weather: Fine
. . .
Saturday, June 27, 1896
In Circle City. I baked today and made some flyhooks and stayed in the cabin most of today. There were two dances tonight, one at Curley Monroe’s dance house and a square dance. It was the best.
Weather: Cloudy
. . .
Saturday, July 4, 1896
Independence Day
In Circle City all day. They was firing guns and an anvil, and there were three dances in town tonight: a lads dance, a squaw dance, and a sporting woman’s dance.
Weather: Fair and warm
. . .
Saturday, July 11, 1896
On Steamer Alice on the way to Forty Mile Post. Several men got off a Charley River, fishermen and prospectors.
Weather: Fine and clear
. . .
Tuesday, July 11, 1896
Here at Forty Mile Post all day, and wrote three letters, one to Mr. Rockwell, one to brother Henry (Colo.), and one to J. H. Morris, and am walking around town.
Weather: Fair, little sprinkle
In July 1896 Frederick Baer worked on a new cabin at Mission Creek and sawed lumber for sale at Forty Mile Post. At the end of the month, he and a few others floated to town, had some fun, then returned to Mission Creek to finish their cabin and prospect the area.
Monday, July 27, 1896
Here at Forty Mile and still waiting for the steamer. There was a dance at Bill McFee’s tonight, they was all sporting girls. B1 Roote Butter $1.00, Bacon 4½ lbs $1.80, Butter $1.00
Weather: Fine
. . .
Friday, August 7, 1896
We are at the mouth of Mission Creek all day, and done a little work around the cabin. Cut out four windows and took out the stumps in the cabin and graded the floor.
Weather: Rained most the forenoon
. . .
Sunday, Sept 13, 1896
At the cabin on the Yukon and put in the bunks today. Mr. Powers came down from Forty Mile and the American mail carrier stopped with us all night. Told of the new Klondike Strike.
Weather: Fair
Goodbye Forty Mile Post! Hello Klondike Creek!
Monday, September 14, 1896
Here at the cabin on the Yukon River. We launched a boat and corked her up ready to start in the morning for Klondike. Excitement 100 miles up the river.
Weather: Fine and warm
. . .
Monday, September 14, 1896
We left Forty Mile Post this morning for Klondike Creek, and are in camp about halfway there tonight on the Yukon River. (Five in the boat going up)
Weather: Fine
. . .
Saturday, September 19, 1896
We left camp this morning on the Yukon and got here to the mouth of the Klondike Creek and are in camp at the mouth of the creek tonight.
Weather: Fair
. . .
Thursday, September 24, 1896
We left the mouth of Hunker Creek and had dinner on the Klondike River, then started down the Yukon and met a gang going to Bear Creek. On a stampede, we followed.
Weather: Fair
. . .
Friday, September 25, 1896
On Bear Creek and staked two claims this morning, No. 6 & 7. Then started for the mouth of Klondike and had dinner with Ike Bowers ½ mile from the river, then we went on and stopped with Oleson.
Weather: Rainey day
. . .
Wednesday, September 30, 1896
In Forty Mile Post all day. We got our claims recorded, Nos 6 & 7 below discovery on Bear Creek, and expect to leave in the morning.
Weather: Snowing some all day
Having already built a new cabin back on Miller Creek, Frederick Baer decided to spend the winter there, then return to Klondike Creek in the spring. He and his prospector neighbors hunted, felled trees, and cut lumber all winter.
Friday, December 20, 1896
Quicksilver froze all day. I stayed home all day and built a fire and cleaned out the hole and built another fire this evening here, above camp, and made a bread pan. An Indian stopped in to warm today.
Weather: Clear and cold, today quicksilver is froze
. . .
Wednesday, December 25, 1896
Christmas
Mr Chattmen and I went to town this morning and I bought a steel trap for $1.50. Things seemed dull.
Weather: Clear and fine, quicksilver thawed all day
At this point, Frederick Baer diaries jump ahead a full year—almost all of 1897 is missing, leading me to think a full bound diary was lost. The entries begin again on December 30, 1867, near Dawson City, Yukon Territory, epicenter of the Klondike Gold Rush. Or in other words, he had returned sometime in 1897.
Baer’s initial Klondike entries contain less personal reflection and more accounting: hours worked by the team and gold nuggets discovered. If you want to read about Dawson City in 1897, read Jack London—he was there at the same time. (There’s a Jack London Museum in Dawson City that you can visit.)
Packtrain in Dawson City, 1898.
Thursday, December 30, 1897
On Bear Creek and cleaned out the hole and built a fire tonight. The Frenchman went back to town today. Mr. Young the Chopper worked 3½ hours.
Weather: Fair and mild
. . .
Saturday, February 5, 1898
On Bear Creek. Cleaned out the drift and got a fair prospect on bedrock. Found a nugget with a hole in it.
Weather: Clear and cold
. . .
Friday, April 16, 1898
I left Bear Creek this afternoon about 3 o’clock, got to the cabin on Klondike about 6:30 and I broke the door open and found McArthur with his shot open [he’d killed himself].
Weather: Fair, rained tonight and snowed
. . .
Saturday, April 17, 1898
On the Klondike. I notified the police the first thing last night of the suicide, and went back to the police barracks again this morning. There was some arrangements made for his burial. Mr. Carolle came up from Eagle.
Weather: Rained all day
. . .
Sunday, April 18, 1898
Here on the Klondike. McArthur’s corpse was taken from the cabin this morning. The coroner picked up a drowned man on his way to town. I got examined by a doctor and got $6.00 madder.
Weather: Cloudy, snowed on the mountain
In June 1898, Frederick Baer left Bear Creek/Dawson City and returned to American Creek near Forty Mile Post. He went to check on his old claims and hire somebody to work them, then returned to Dawson City. At this point Baer’s diary has become a record of hours worked, claims checked (he had a lot of claims), and the names of steamers that passed on the river. It is not very interesting, except when it is (and I’ve included those entries below). It also captures a snapshot of the Klondike Gold Rush: one steamer sighting a week in 1896 had turned to three a day in 1898; one mining partner had turned to four hired hands, and Baer is continually buying supplies for his operations.
Sunday, August 28, 1898
In Eagle City and done some work on the cache. Anderson stopped for dinner with us. I got my hair cut.
Weather: Fine
. . .
Sunday, September 25, 1898
On Bear Creek all day. Frank Carrol came up from Dawson yesterday evening with Pierce and brought up potatoes and onions. And some of the laymen arrived, too.
Weather: Fair
. . .
Thursday, September 29, 1898
On Bear Creek all day. The two Australians started to build their cabin this morning. The French boys came up this evening, with their packs. Another two came up and move d into their cabin.
Weather: Fair
. . .
Sunday, October 2, 1898
On the Klondike. I went over to Dawson and had dinner with Cal Brosins, and seen Mr. Allen and a steamer came down today with soldiers and a Gatling gun. I bought donuts ½ doz 25cts, 3 appels 25 cts
. . .
Tuesday, November 22, 1898
On Bear Creek all day and fixed one of the old buckets. We held a mock trial on Cassear Jim for taking wood which did not belong to him. We built the first drift fire tonight.
Weather: Clear cold, quicksilver froze hard
. . .
Thursday, December 15, 1898
On Bear Creek all day. Pearce and Carrey are drifting in two shafts. Prospects are small (9 cts). Today Mr. Cowan came from Thistle Creek Stampede. Sleigh got robbed here on No. 7, and a book & paper [Could this be Baer’s missing 1897 diary?]
Weather: Fair, some snow
. . .
Wednesday, December 21, 1898
On Bear Creek all day. Pearce and Carrey are drifting. O’Donnell and some of his partners disagreed and quit on lay No. 2. Prospects small. (British male Brake through the ice and lost.)
Weather: Fair and mild
. . .
Sunday, December 25, 1898
Christmas
On French Hill and Eldorado all day. Stopping with Mr. Hunt. We went down on No. 2 Eldarado to see Mr. Lucas and Monroe and had supper with them—sweet potatoes, mince pies, plum pudding.
Weather: Cold and mild
. . .
Sunday, January 8, 1899
On Bear Creek all day. Stayed in cabin and finished making a shaving horse. O’Donnell brought news up from Dawson. Frank Carrol lost McLarin’s dog and was busy hunting for him.
Weather: Fair and cold
. . .
Monday, January 9, 1899
On Bear Creek all day. Carrey went to Dawson this morning. Him and Carrol are hunting a lost dog of McLarin’s. Pierce was getting wood off the hill. Young McLarin went to Dawson. I made a keg of spruce beer.
Weather: Fair mild
. . .
Monday, January 23, 1899
Here in Dawson all day. Stopping with Jack Horn and went to the theater Monte Carlo with Young, Horn. Ticket 50 cents, 3 bottle emulsion $9.00
Weather: Clear and cold
Men and women at the Monte Carlo, Dawson City, Yukon, c. 1898
Tuesday, February 21, 1899
On Bear Creek all day. I got up with a pain in my right side, and out on a mustard plaster to draw it away, and laid in bed all day. The boys all worked.
Weather: Clear and cold (quick froze)
. . .
Thursday, March 2, 1899
On Bear Creek all day. Jack Cavanaugh the fiddler stopped here on the claim tonight. We had some music and songs. Hugh from the fraction below 10 called in to see us.
Weather: Fair and cold
. . .
Wednesday, March 8, 1899
On Bear Creek all day. I did some baking today. The two men took out some dirt and got a fire going tonight, and sharpened a pick in our cabin this evening. I sent a letter to Dawson regarding McArthur’s death.
Weather: Fair
. . .
Monday, March 27, 1899
On Bear Creek all day. I helped Carrol clean out a drift fire. McLarin went down to Dawson this morning after his dog, which he heard of being there. Mr. Cassie of Dawson stopped with us.
Weather: Fair
. . .
Tuesday, March 28, 1899
On Bear Creek all day. I helped Carrol to clean out a drift, and put in a set of timbers to hold up the waste. Prospects, 10 & 25 cts to the pan. McLarin came back from Dawson with his dog. Mr. Case went over to Last Chance today.
Weather: Fair, little snow
. . .
Saturday, April 1, 1899
On Bear Creek all day. Helped to clean out a drift fire, and saw a corpse go down the creek; a man died on No. 5 on Lindo Creek. I nailed the gate together for the dam.
Weather: Fair, mild
. . .
Tuesday, April 25, 1899
On Bear Creek all day. I laid up all day feeling bad. Carrier Jim is going to stop drifting. Pierce and Carie were digging a ditch for the sluice boxes.
Weather: Fine windy
. . .
Friday, April 28, 1899
On Bear Creek all day. Laid in bed and felt sick. Mr. Hunt went to Dawson this morning and got back this evening. Dawson City burned down night before last. Mr. Quigley and Lawson were by to see us.
Weather: Fine and cold
The Great Dawson City Fire of 1899.
Sunday, April 30, 1899
On Bear Creek all day and stayed home. Sam killed a grouse and found a bear cave. The bear was gone. Mr. Hunt was down here to see us tonight. The boys had quite an argument.
Weather: Fine and cold, cloudy tonight, no one worked
. . .
Tuesday, May 2, 1899
On Bear Creek all day. The reports were there was a fresh bear track up above No. 4. Carrol and Quigley went out hunting. It proved to be a dog track. I am not well.
Weather: Fair & cold freezing
. . .
Monday, June 19, 1899
In Dawson all day and was looking. Jerry Heater getting ready to go down to American Creek. Bread at Klondike Hotel $1.00, donuts 25 cts, supper $1.00. Bead, breakfast & Supper $3.25 and I am stopping at the Klondike Hotel.
Weather: Fair rain tonight
. . .
Tuesday, June 22, 1899
Jerry Heeter and I left Dawson this morning for American Creek and got here to Forty Mile this evening, and are stopped here at Cudahy tonight. I am feeling bad; am sick with diarrhea and some fever.
Weather: Fair, some rain this evening
. . .
Wednesday, June 28, 1899
Heare in Eagle all day. Steamer Sarah went up this morning. Mr. Clifford went up to Forty Mile on her. Mr. Lucas came back from hunting and failed to find him. Mr. Hunt came down off American Creek.
Weather: Fine and warm

Alaska Commercial Co. Sternwheeler Sarah at Eagle, 1899.
Friday, July 7, 1899
On American Creek all day. I am helping Jancer to make floom boxes. The rest of the boys are bringing up the drain. Mr. Robarts came to see us in the company with two ladies.
Weather: Fine and warm
. . .
Thursday, July 27, 1899
On American Creek. We finished the dam and drain and resetting the boxes, and are shoveling in again, most of the day. I was sick and lost a quarter of a day.
Weather: Showery
. . .
Saturday, August 26, 1899
On American Creek and worked all day. We picked up over $10 worth of gold. A lady came up and wanted a nugget from Anderson (and failed).
Weather: Fair, or fine
. . .
Saturday, September 2, 1899
I, Anderson, Salinsky, and all left American Creek this morning for Eagle, and got here this evening. Found a blacksmith shop in my cabin and even the cache [occupied], and some of my things gone.
Weather: Fair
. . .
Thursday, September 7, 1899
In Eagle City all forenoon. Steamer Leah left for St. Michael. I went onboard and started off on her the middle in the afternoon, and went down to the A.C. Co.’s [Alaska Commercial Company’s] coal mine. Steamer Susie was taking on coal. We laid all night.
Weather: Fair
. . .
Friday, September 8, 1899
Onboard of Steamer Leah and arrived at Circle City this morning and left there this afternoon. And met Steamer Hannah and stopped with her awhile, then we passed Steamer Ona, Barrdrie, one taking on wood, two little crafts tied up to the bank.
Weather: Fair
. . .
Saturday, September 9, 1899
On the Leah. We laid at the woodyard last night. We were scraping over several sandbars and finale got stuck on one at Fort Yukon. I did not see the town, because the water was too low for the steamer to go there. We got off after supper.
Weather: Windy
. . .
Sunday, September 10, 1899
Port Cudahy tonight on Steamer Leah. She got on the sandbar last night and tied up to the bank. Started out at daybreak and passed Steamer Hamilton going up, we got to the Ramparts or Manook, and took on a scow loaded with wood for the Steamer Tanana.
Weather: Fine
. . .
Monday, September 11, 1899
Fort Gibbon on Steamer Leah. We left Manook and got here to Tanana Station the middle of the forenoon. The soldiers are building their boren(?). No mining in this neighborhood. We left Fort Gibbon this afternoon and ran all night.
Weather: Cloudy rainy
. . .
Tuesday, September 12, 1899
On Steamer Leah all day. We passed the mouth of the Koyukuk River this morning without stopping. We arrived at Nulato in the forenoon and left there about noon. This is an Indian Mission. Stopped at a woodyard all night.
Weather: Rained
. . .
Wednesday, September 13, 1899
On the Steamer Leah, we left the woodyard this morning in a thick fog and got to Anvik, the mouth of the Anvik River at noon. Yes, we passed a town called Grayling this morning, and stopped a few miles above Holy Cross Mission for the night.
Weather: Rain and wind
. . .
Thursday, September 14, 1899
On Steamer Leah. She blew out a gasket last night and scared some of the passengers. We passed Holy Cross this morning and Russian Mission. They have a nice church there, and we came on the Steamer Andreafsky and stopped all night unloading a scowboat of wood A. C.’s headquarters.
Weather: Wind and rain
. . .
Friday, September 15, 1899
On Steamer Leah. We left Andreafsky this morning and passed Fort Hamilton and got hung up on a sandbar this afternoon, and had to wait for the tide to come in. It started in about supper time.
Weather: Fair
. . .
Saturday, September 16, 1899
On Steamer Leah. We got of the sandbar last night at high tide, and anchored until daybreak, then started for St. Michael, and ran in behind a point of land and tied up in a shallow place. Today noon the wind was blowing too hard, starting to snow. [At this point, after passing Fort Hamilton, they were in the Bering Sea, headed north along the coast.]
Weather: Fair
. . .
Sunday, September 17, 1899
On Steamer Leah. It was blowing quite a gale last night, and there is a foot of snow on the ground this morning, and is still snowing, raining, and blowing. They tied to back off the beach and bought an Excentrick(?) and laid here all day.
Weather: Stormy
. . .
Monday, September 18, 1899
We backed off the beach this morning and started for St. Micael and got here this forenoon. I had dinner at Hale’s, $1.00 a meal, 1 bottle Scott’s Emulsion $1.50 at the A.C. Store, and supper $1.00 at A.C.
Weather: Stormy, snow, wind, rain, and sunshine
. . .
Tuesday, September 19, 1899
St. Michel all day. Breakfast $1.00 at A.C. Co. and went up to the barracks and saw the army doctor, and took a room at Hale’s Hotel, rates $3.00 a day. I paid $6.00 in advance. ½ doz oranges, 20 at Hale’s
Weather: Stormy, snow and rain
Fort St. Michael, 1901, where Frederick Baer met with Dr. Marsh.
Wednesday, September 20, 1899
Hale’s Hotel St. Michael. I’m waiting for a boat to Seattle. I bought one ticket to Seattle on Steamer Lakme, $100.00. I am stopping here at Hale’s Hotel and am sick with a bad cold.
Weather: Stormy, snow and rain
. . .
Friday, September 22, 1899
In St. Michael, Hale’s Hotel all day. I slept most of the day am feeling very sick and weak and feel myself getting weaker. I tried to get some lectopine (?) but there is none in town.
Weather: Snow and rain, disagreeable
. . .
Sunday, September 24, 1899
Here at St. Michal at Hale’s Hotel and was examined by Dr. Marsh, the army doctor. I took two doses last [night] and kept taking many more, for I had no time and had a hard time to breathe.
Weather: Snow and stormy
. . .
Monday, September 25, 1899
Here in St. Michael at Hotel Hale all day. Paid $3.00 another day’s board. I expect to get away tomorrow. There were lots of people here for supper and started for Cafe Mame.
Weather: Snow
. . .
Tuesday, September 26, 1899
I been waiting to go onboard Steamer Lakme, but the wind is howling.
. . .
Wednesday, September 27, 1899
[No entry, only the date written]
Frederick Baer died in St. Michael, Alaska, on September 28, 1899. He was buried there, but I have not been able to find where.



(1).jpg)



No comments:
Post a Comment